We’ve seen a couple of common requests for help recently regarding the way Community Link-Up‘s email subscriptions are working. They are:
- I’ve subscribed to the Community Link-Up blog, but I’m not receiving emails
- I’d like to alter the frequency of the emails I receive (NB scroll down past the next part to the How to alter the frequency of your emails heading if this is what you want to do)
Why you might not be receiving your subscription emails
Email subscription is a 2-step process. The first is to fill out the Email Alerts section on the right-hand sidebar. After you’ve done this you should see something similar to this screen shot taken last year:
At around the same time you should receive the email itself, asking you to confirm your subscription. You must fill this in order to receive your emails. If you don’t receive it within a couple of hours, check your spam folder; it may be lurking in there.
Those of you at Bertrams in particular should note:
We found out last week (w/b 22nd July 2013) that the email system at Bertrams wasn’t accepting emails from firstname.lastname@example.org, the email address used to send out the subscription confirmations. This has now been fixed and it’s great to see a number of you at Bertrams have now signed-up again, successfully this time. Thank you for your persistence 🙂
If you’re not at Bertrams (or you are and it’s now a while since this post was published), and you are experiencing a similar problem, and your expected email isn’t in your spam folder, then you should raise the problem with your IT department. Tell them:
- you’ve tried to subscribe to the Community Link-Up blog
- you’ve not received the subscription confirmation email
- you’ve checked your spam folder and it’s not there
- the expected email address sending the confirmation is email@example.com
Note: you may have to subscribe again depending on how the problem is resolved and whether the subscription confirmation can be forwarded to you.
If you’d like a step-by-step guide, taking you through what happens, click here. NB this link takes you through the whole subscription process, so you’ll need to scroll down to find the section showing you the confirmation process.
How to alter the frequency of your emails
When you subscribe, the default frequency is set to whenever a blog post is published. This is usually OK, but at times when we have lots of news to tell you, you may wish to alter this setting. There are two further options available:
- Daily – emails are sent out Monday to Friday, where applicable
- Weekly – emails are sent on a Monday morning (there’s very few weeks when we don’t publish something!)
Remember, that setting your subscription to Weekly may mean you miss reminders about approaching deadlines, or news hot off the press about yourself or your colleagues!
There are two places where you have the option to alter your subscription setting:
- In the sign-up confirmation email after hitting the ‘Confirm Follow‘ button
- In every subscription email you receive by clicking the ‘Manage subscription‘ link you’ll find towards the end of the email
With either option you will then see something like this:
I’ve not signed up for emails, how do I do that?
It’s easy! Simply fill out your email details in the Email Alert section in the sidebar on the right. If you’d like a step-by-step guide, taking you through what happens, click here.